Friday, October 28, 2011

Fiction touching Theology

1) The Short Stories of Alexandros Papadiamantis
If all I knew of Orthodox Christianity was that which is encountered in the short stories of Papadiamantis, it would be enough.

2) Till We Have Faces, C.S. Lewis

This is a wonderful retelling of the myth of Eros and Psyche.  It is a beautifully wrought tale of Man's search for the Divine and in my own humble opinion it should be read together with the works of St. Dionysios.

3) The Idiot, Fyodor Dostoyevsky
I do not just love this book about a noble idiot who is an icon of Christ, but after reading it I feel as if I can count this prince as  one of my own dear friends.

4) The Book of the Long Sun, Gene Wolfe
A story of a Moses-type Haruspex told from a distant future...

5) Mother Thessaloniki, Nikos Gabriel Pentzikis
 Reading this book is like praying.  It is like an open window on cool autumn night, but a window that was a struggle to open.  It is a cool drink of water from a spring on a mountain that you nearly die of thirst trying to climb.  I must also add that Pentzikis is a brother whom I have only known through letters and the words of our dear Mother Thessaloniki.

6) The Egyptian, Mika Waltari
Just read it...
7) Short Fiction of Jorge Luis Borges
When you read as a child, it is magic.  As you age the magic fades.  With Borges you feel like a child who has found the magic of reading for the first time.

8) Lilith, George MacDonald
If there has ever been a book that defies description, here it is.  I challenge anyone who reads this book and is moved by it to explain what it is about. 

9) The Man who Was Thursday, G.K. Chesterton
The greatest thing written by a very great man.


10)  The Chronicles of Prydain, Lloyd Alexander
These books introduced me to the joy of reading and taught me that the life worth living is the life lived for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment