Monday, January 9, 2012

Theophany Song from Ioannina Greece

The Feast of Lights

O come and learn the wonder great, the wonder great that happened,
How Christ did condescend for mankind
and much for them did suffer.
and then went down to Jordan's brink, and into Jordan's waters,
To be baptized by John the Baptist.
"Come O my John, come hither now,
come and do thou baptize Me."
"My Lord, O no, I cannot look, cannot look on thy beauty,
Nor can I gaze upon the dove which over Thy head does hover.
My Lord! O no, I cannot touch Thee from above descended,
For the wide earth and all the heavens submit them to Thy orders."
"Come, O my John, come unto Me,
and linger thou no longer;
To this great Mystery we perform
thou shall become the sponsor."
Then John baptized his Lord forthwith that might
be cleansed and purged the sin that Adam first had sinned,
and that it might be annulled;
And to confound the enemy, to foil the thrice-accursed
Beguiler of mankind that he in hell may dwell forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment