Friday, September 9, 2011

The Cell of Elder Paisios: Panagouda

Every year during the celebration of the Nativity of Panagia I am reminded of my time at the Cell of Elder Paisios, Panagouda.  I was not worthy of meeting the blessed elder in this life but in his abundant love and by the mercy of our Lord I was allowed to visit the place of his repentance...

I have never felt so near to our Lord or his Mother as I did at the elder's Keli.  It felt as if for a moment the Cherub who stands guard at the gates of paradise stepped aside and allowed me to enter. Though my time there was brief, it will forever bring me warmth, joy, and peace. 

I live exiled from the garden by my many sins and yet I have seen in Panagia's Garden a place transformed by a holy man whose prayer and suffering after the likeness of our Lord's prayer in Gethsemane has become another Eden.  What can I say but quote his eminence Metropolitan Nicholas Hatzinikolaou who has called Panagouda, "the highest place on Earth."
- Fr. micah

No comments:

Post a Comment