Thursday, June 13, 2013

Dumbing Down my Smart Phone



One year ago I was invited to the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church in Memphis TN to deliver a Lenten Lecture.  In the lecture I attempted to distinguish between four “images”- Idols, art, Icons, and the digital image (http://synaxisstudy.blogspot.com/2012/08/idols-ipods-and-icons.html ).  For the most part this lecture and subsequent discussions, as is more often than not the case, raised many questions and provided few answers.  At the same time I have discussed with nearly a dozen groups of Orthodox teenagers the topic of the place of technology in their lives (GOYA, camp programs, Lenten retreats, OCF etc.)  I would begin by asking the young people how many hours of television they watched in a given week.  How much time they surfed the internet, were on Facebook, texted, etc.  After each question we rather unscientifically decided on a number that best represented the hours spent engaged with that specific technology.  I truly believe that I was really quite generous with choosing this number, meaning I think the number of hours we decided on was really on the lower end.  At the end of this discussion we added up the hours. Sixty hours.  Sixty hours engaged with technology.  The young people were shocked but did not argue with the outcome.  We decided after further discussion to look at the number as being forty hours on the assumption that twenty hours out of the sixty were home work related.  Over the last ten years of regularly having this discussion these numbers have interestingly been quite consistent.  What has changed is that when the young people hear sixty hours (or forty for that matter) they are no longer shocked.
At the end of the discussion I asked the young people to do a three day fast from technology.  10 years ago most of the young people at least attempted to do this fast but over the years there has been much more resistance.   In recent years I have asked the young people to do a one day fast.  I remember vividly one young person humbly tell me that he tried but could not do it.  Another young person smiled and said she did not mind the fast because she was able to TiVo her favorite shows. 
I suppose that I am not unique in these early years of the 21st  century in that I have an Iphone, Nook, netbook, computer, etc.  I am probably a little more resistant to new technologies than others because of certain romantic Luddite inclinations in my personality but in the end I succumb and get, if not the latest gadget, the gadget of a few years past.
I have struggled with the increasing technologization of my life and often thought dreamingly of dispensing of it entirely, but have always in the end resisted acting on it.  Things are different now.  I have made the decision to stupefy my smart phone and leave my computer in the office.  Everything changed for me on a Friday in April.
To understand the importance of this Friday it requires a little autobiographical information.  While in College and at Seminary I attended Church in Watertown MA, spent every Friday with the GOYA, ate almost exclusively at Watertown restaurants, and did most of my shopping there.  It was my home for seven years.  It is also the home to my sister and countless friends. 
I woke up early Friday morning with my phone ringing hearing an iris alert that there was a situation in Watertown.  I immediately picked up my Iphone and saw what was happening and called my sister.  All day Friday I was constantly turning to the Iphone, reading articles, listening to news, watching video, etc.  Friday evening I finally put down the Iphone, vested, and began the Akathist.  As I stood before the Icon of Panagia I realized that all day my attention had been on my Iphone.  I should have brought my fear, anxiety, and confusion to the feet of Panagia.  The problem was not the phone; it was my ego and my lack of faith.  My ego because I felt that if somehow I just knew more of what was going on I could do something and not feel so completely helpless.  Lack of faith because I was unable all day to turn to Christ and Panagia and say I don’t know what is going on, I am scared and worried for those I love, but I trust You. 
I have begun the long and painful process of making my smart phone stupid, looking at technology as an area that requires real ascesis, and realizing that my life has become increasing de-personalized by social media. 
I don’t remember the last time I walked outside barefoot, watched a sunset, or most importantly the last time I was confronted by a problem and picked up my komboskini before trying to Google my way out of the impasse.  I am writing this not to judge, condemn, or even convince, but just to say I think we need to examine our lives, have serious discussions on how we relate to technology, and make sure we are not deaf to the Logoi amidst the wonders of creation’s Phenomena.
Granted I am not a particularly regular blogger, I have been over the thrill of Facebook for quite some time, and I seldom text, but never the less you will probably see less of me but hopefully that might lead you to visit me! 
Here are two remarkable articles about the relationship between technology and theology-
1. Orthodox Spirituality and the Technological Revolution by Archimandrite Aimilianos:

2. How to be a Human Being by Davor Džalto:

No comments:

Post a Comment